liquid nitrogen

A guest was doused with liquid nitrogen in Tabu restaurant

Dubai’s Tabu restaurant has apologised to a customer who was doused with liquid nitrogen by a waiter during dinner. It is reported that the incident occurred during a theatrical presentation of dishes and the woman received burns.

David Lescarret, founder of the Japanese restaurant, said the guest received first aid. The establishment is working with Dubai Municipality to sort out safety issues.

The restaurant is located at the St Regis Hotel in central Dubai, but the hotel is not responsible for its operations. Liquid nitrogen has become popular in many restaurants: it instantly freezes food and drinks, creating theatrical plumes of mist and steam on contact with the air.

Alin Fleihan, an architect from Saudi Arabia, suffered minor burns. A waiter spilled liquid nitrogen on her back as she carried dishes on a tray to a neighbouring table. The girl’s clothes, which absorbed the nitrogen, were able to prevent more serious injuries.

The liquid nitrogen has a temperature of minus 196ºC, so it does not cause a real burn, but it can damage the skin in the area of contact. The girl noted that frostbite-like burns remained on her neck and lower back. She had to bathe in warm water and constantly moisten the damaged skin.

After the emergency treatment, the tourist was invited to a restaurant for a free lunch. The tasting menu starts at AED 600 per person. Visitors are promised an interactive cooking show to help them appreciate the “fine art” of Japanese cuisine.

Source: The National

Follow our Telegram Chanel